Thursday, November 5, 2009

Be still my restless mind

Inspired by Laura's recent post (see Anandaville, November 3, 2009) and a rare sense of indecision when I came to my mat tonight, I opted to focus on savasana, or corpse pose.

I read through Iyengar's descriptions - jaw, tongue and pupils relaxed, breathing deep and fine, mind still. I can still my body without too much effort. The breathing really depends on the day, and today was a very good day because my entire being felt light. It's that stilling of the mind that I really need to work on...two out of three ain't bad.

One thing I know for sure, I almost always cut my savasana short during my home practice, Iyengar suggests 15 - 20 minutes. I don't usually time it, but I would guess that I rarely give it more than five minutes. I split the difference and set my timer for 17 minutes, then settled in and focused on my jaw, tongue, pupils and breath. Everything felt good, still and soft, and then it all began, a steady flow of thoughts and my attempts to release them.

'How will I describe this in my blog?' Let it go.
'I wonder how almond milk will work in the sweet potatoes?' Let it go.
'Wow, remember that time savasana brought you to tears?' Let it go.
'What will I say about this in my blog?" Let it go.

The thoughts slowed, and may have even stopped for a few moments when I heard my cat breathing, he loves to be with me when I practice. (This is the ONLY cat I have ever had who breathes audibly!) I'm pretty sure his mind was clear, but my deep relaxation was broken and I found myself wondering when the timer would go off.

Considering this was my first attempt at a non-abbreviated savasana, I was pleased. next time I will try it without the cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment