Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Shaking my tail feathers

Feeling ready to try something different today, I opted for Pincha Mayurasana, or peacock pose. I enjoy arm balances and inversions, and peacock is the perfect combination of both. (For those of you not familiar with this pose, it is similar to a handstand, but you balance on your forearms.)

Two things struck me about Iyengar's description. First, there is a "second stage" to the pose - resting the chin in the hands and balancing only on the elbows. I have never attempted this variation and despite my desire for something different, opted to forego it tonight as well. Second, Inyengar suggests swinging the legs up together from a kneeling position. I have always kicked up one leg at a time. I've practiced this pose for many years, and feel fairly comfortable with it. This was the fresh approach I was looking for...or so I thought.

My first attempt to "swing up" from kneeling did not go as well as I expected, I only made it about two feet off of the floor. For my second attempt, I extended my legs - similar to dolphin pose - and attempted to "swing up". This time I made it a little farther, but I could tell that I was going to need a lot more practice to master this technique.

I revisited Iyengar's description and decided to kick up my usual way and focus on a more subtle change. Just before bringing the legs overhead, Iyengar says to "stretch the neck and lift the head up as high as possible". I typically look forward between my thumbs when kicking up, this time I really lifted my head and kicked. Lo and behold, as both legs rose, they seemed to naturally stop, aligned right over my body. I felt solid. I still practice the pose against the wall, but this time I did not need it. I tried again, kicking up with my opposite leg. This time I needed the wall to stop my momentum, but it was still easier than usual to kick with my "off" leg.

It was a good practice and a fun discovery. Definitely worth squawking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment